- This event has passed.
Understanding Parental Mental Ill-Health & Impact on Parents & Carers
24th February 2022 @ 9:30 am - 3:30 pm GMTFree
The course is aimed at providing front line social workers and managers who work with children and families with the necessary knowledge and skills to respond effectively to the challenges of working with parents with a mental health issue. The course will consider the features of mental ill health, how this impacts on parenting and the effects on children of living with a parent with a mental health condition. The focus of the course will be meeting children’s identified needs, managing risk and ensuring good outcomes for children via effective social work case work.
KSS Practitioner Indicators: 1,2,3, 4,5,6,7,8,10
- Understand the prevalence, nature and signs of the most common types of mental illness (distinguishing between cases where there is a formal diagnosis or not)
- Examine the impact of Covid pandemic and lockdown on parental mental health and wellbeing .
- Exploring presentation of major mental illness including depression ,bipolar disorder .schizophrenia and personality disorders in parents and levels of risks presented in Serious case reviews.
- Identify some of the triggers to emotional distress; physical illness, trauma and conflict affecting parents and children.
- Recognise mental disorders among parents from Black and minority communities and the experiences of women with mental ill health
- Understand the impact on the child’s cognitive, emotional and social development when living with adults diagnosed with mental ill health
- Develop an understanding of the impact of mental health in relation to predictions of risk and harm in particular preventing high harm outcomes
- Identify different clinical ,social and therapeutic interventions which are effective approaches in response to adult mental illness
16 people are attending Understanding Parental Mental Ill-Health & Impact on Parents & Carers