- This event has passed.
**cancelled** Female Genital Mutilation
13th September 2022 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm BSTFree
Course Overview/ Aim
The aim of the course is to introduce professionals to the practice of FGM in girls and women, exploring why it is practiced, the different types of FGM, its prevalence and its acceptance, along with how to recognise the signs and indicators. The World Health Organisation estimates that 3 million girls undergo some form of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) each year. Female Genital Mutilation is illegal in the UK but still affects a significant number of British girls and foreign nationals from a variety of cultures.
- By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Describe what FGM is and the different types of FGM
- Understand the prevalence of FGM and identify high risk communities
- Understand the law in relation to FGM
- Explain the reasons why FGM is practiced and accepted in some communities
- Be aware that FGM in young girls below the age of eighteen is ‘child abuse’ a violation of the child’s right to life, their body integrity as well as their right to health
- Be able to recognise what the signs and indicators of FGM are and to make appropriate referrals to safeguard children and young people
- Be aware of the support services for women and girls who have undergone FGM