- This event has passed.
Protecting Disabled Children
21st February 2017 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm GMTFree
This course will develop knowledge and skills in the care and protection needs of disabled children, and to promote effective child protection practice with children who are disabled. We will be exploring the DCSF document on ‘Safeguarding Disabled Children’ and discussing the impact this has on working practices.
By the end of the training participants will be able to:
• To explore our attitudes, fears and prejudice towards children with disabilities e.g. that sometimes might enable us to explain away their altered behaviours
• Vulnerability to harm
• Recognise the importance of observation and communicating with Disabled Children
• Stage related/age related development
• To reflect on models of disability and the implications for Child Protection
• To identify blocks and develop skills in protecting disabled children
• To raise awareness about how abuse might present in children with disabilities and be able to put it into context.
• To look at the interagency assessment framework and children with disabilities.
Members of the workforce who have particular responsibilities in relation to undertaking or understanding section 47 enquires, including professionals from health, education, police and children’s social care; those who work with complex cases and social work staff responsible for co-ordinating assessments of children in need.
Professional advisers and designated lead professionals for child protection
Operational managers of services for children, young people and/or parents/carers.