- This event has passed.
Emotional Abuse and Neglect
8th February 2017 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm GMTFree
Participants will get an opportunity to consider some of the dilemmas involved in working with families where there are concerns about emotional abuse and neglect. Lessons from research and serious case reviews will be used, to enable participants to explore assessment processes as well as appropriate ways of intervening.
By the end of the training participants will be able to:
- Recognise and respond to the indicators for emotional abuse and neglect.
- Recognise attachment and attachment patterns.
- Recognise the symptoms of emotional abuse and neglect.
- Refer to research and enquiry findings, including the impact of trauma and stress on parenting capacity; to assist in understanding the powerful energies at play when working with emotional abuse and neglect.
- Work creatively with children and their families to build on strengths whilst ensuring that the child’s needs are safeguarded.
- To place this work into the context of Every Child Matters, where the well-being of the child is promoted and professionals work together to achieve positive outcomes for children and their families.
Members of the workforce who have particular responsibilities in relation to undertaking or understanding section 47 enquires, including professionals from health, education, police and children’s social care; those who work with complex cases and social work staff responsible for co-ordinating assessments of children in need.
Professional advisers and designated lead professionals for child protection, Operational managers of services for children, young people and/or parents/carers may also find this course useful.